1. What is Bowen Therapy?
The Bowen Technique (Bowen Therapy) was developed by Tom Bowen from Geelong in Victoria, Australia. It is muscle and connective tissue therapy using subtle inputs to the body (known as moves) which stimulate the body to heal itself, often with exceptional results.
2. Who can benefit from Bowen Therapy?
3. How can Bowen Therapy help me?
4. How does Bowen Therapy work?
Very simple moves are performed over muscle, fascia, tendons and sometimes ligaments with a small waiting time (usually 2 minutes) between groups of movements. These movements can be performed through light clothing or on bare skin and they send messages to your body, which start the healing process.
The first few moves we do tell your body to completely relax. It shifts the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) from sympathetic (fight, flight or freeze mode) to parasympathetic (rest, relaxation and repair mode) for maximum healing effect.
Illness can be thought of as blocked energy, so to put it in more simple terms, the movements stimulate electrical energy within the body which helps to free these energy blocks.
5. How am I going to feel after a Bowen Therapy Treatment?
Most people feel very relaxed after a treatment, but some may also feel a bit washed out and sore and suffer from pain in other parts of the body, after the initial treatment. This feeling generally dissipates within 24-48 hours and can be assisted by drinking lots of filtered water. Good hydration is very important to your recovery.
Subsequent treatments usually produce improved results.
6. How many treatments will I need to have?
Well, this really depends on your condition. Usually 3 treatments will see a marked improvement or resolution of your problem.
Each Bowen Therapy session builds on the previous one. If more than 3 treatments are necessary, you will find that the timeframe between each treatment should gradually increase.
7. Should I be having ongoing Treatment?
8. How can I help in my Recovery?
- Be open and honest
- Attend the recommended appointment schedule
- Follow the ‘After Treatment’ instructions you are given
- Undertake any stretches and exercises you are given
- Drink lots of filtered water on an going basis